Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Future of Music - Hidden Reflections


Four years ago I set out on a journey. I was going to college to be trained for a profession that doesn't exist so I set my ULTIMATE GOAL: to figure out what was the "next step" for classical music. I thought of
everything, from ways to compose music in a more communicative manner and changing the performance settings to the audience's role and possible ensembles. After several intense years I collected a massive amount of ideas from brainstorming and started a new concert design. There was only one major problem with the new design, it was missing something. It was so frustrating. The one major element which would later become the centerpiece of my master plan. (I sound like a mad scientist...)


Then one day this past summer while I was sitting on a pier in Italy I figured it out. Wow...it really came out of nowhere, I was thinking about the metaphysical nature of the Scriabin Fantasy Op. 28. How the characters in the piece may actually be interacting or if they only fantasize a reunion of the souls. All of a sudden the idea of classical music or any art form having a concrete effect on audiences surfaced. I'm not really sure where that idea came from, but it exploded in my mind (POOFF!). I just stood up and started to smile, then laugh, and then cover my eyes while speaking to myself as I realized that I figured it out. That minature thought morphed my thought process into an avalanche.



Before I realized I had returned to The States with the knowledge to help me officially start my career as an artist. I started putting together an advisory board and compiling resources. I was going to start a company! An Artist Collective company that would bring together all types of artists in order to create a performance no audience will EVER forget. Just take a second to imagine a company which employs every type of artist (Dancers, Musicians, Painters, Poets, Sculptors, Photographers, Actors, Composers, and so many more). Collectively these creative masterminds will perform shows that challenge interactive audiences and push the definition of artistic collaboration to the absolute limit. Improvisation, humor, and genius are just a few of the elements that will run through the concerts which may occur in ANY type of venue - anywhere: OUTSIDE? WHAT?...


I know it sounds impossible or "too good to be true". That's the same thing that came into my mind as I imagined it all. BUT WAIT!!! The amazing news is that TODAY is Day 1 of Hidden Reflections LLC. As a company we are preparing for performances this summer in Atlanta and New York. All the artists are recruited and I can confidently say that I have an incredible group in each city. Keep an eye out for videos this summer after our performances, as well as a website and SO0oo much more...

I can guarantee that by drastically changing our s t a l e performance tradition Hidden Reflections LLC will illuminate the artistic world which has slowly been buried under our feet.


Here's our promotional video for the New York performance:


Hidden Reflections - "Unleash Your Imagination" from Julian Toha on Vimeo.

This is a promotional video for my newest project. We are uniting all art forms to create a concert that is rich visually and aurally. We plan to revolutionize classical music performance as well as create a stronger bond between all art forms. At the same time, all the artists involved are recruited from the cities which we perform in. This allows each performance to not only be unique, but more importantly rooted in the traditions and culture of that city. Concerts are being organized this summer (2010) for Atlanta and New York. For more information visit www.juliantoha.com or www.hidden-reflections.com.

More blogs on Hidden Reflections to come...

No comments:

To hear recordings, visit ReverbNation by clicking the link below.

Julian%20Toha